Friday, October 28, 2011

Week Ten DEJ

"Another important issue for students is respect for copyright and the intellectual property
of others. It is always tempting for students of all ages to use the Internet to find images,
music and other material for inclusion in their digital stories." (Robin)

I agree that this would be one of the biggest problems in creating a digital story. We have so much access to music and images that sometimes it is so easy to forget that we can't use it all. Last year I taught sixth grade and my students had to do a speech on what they thought was the greatest american invention. I had two students (a boy and a girl) who did a speech on the lightbulb. They had the same exact speech. My boy student went first and when he finished, my female student said, "Hey. His speech is exactly like mine." I asked them how they thought that might happen and they both said they used the Internet and the help of copy and paste. We had a discussion and later a lesson on plagiarism.


Related Material:

School Video News- I thought this might help a little bit when trying to decide if my favorite Usher song would be ok to put in a school typed project. I know of a few schools that use popular songs to open up there school news broadcast. It isn't the whole song, but maybe 30 seconds, but its hard to believe that may not even be the legal thing to do. It is rather frustrating that with so much available at the push of a button that using it may not always be legal.

Resources:
Robin , B. (n.d.). The educational uses of digital storytelling. Retrieved from http://digitalliteracyintheclassroom.pbworks.com/f/Educ-Uses-DS.pdf

Brit, B. (2008). School video news using copyrighted material. Retrieved from http://www.school-video-news.com/index_files/Copyrighted_Music.htm

5 comments:

  1. This is a really good point. Even at the college level, we often get instructors asking us to add content to their online courses that they don't have permission to use, and sometimes they get upset when we have to tell them that we can't do it unless they get permission or choose another resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem when I was student teaching. I really had to stress the importance of citing sources not only for text but pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent discussion of copyright issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same quote that I chose. I to believe it is a issue that needs to be addressed. I know that it is a course offered at Fairmont State and should be something discussed and taught in all classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you used this quote. I teach digital media classes in High School, and you would not believe how many students are clueless about copyright laws and what plagarism is. Students think if you found it on google it is free and ok to use for anything. I spend about 3 weeks on copyright laws with my students and how to properly cite images and sources for content used in any type of production. Some great resources are copyright.org and plagiarism.org

    ReplyDelete