Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 9 DEJ

"Storytelling is a tool for preserving memory, writing history, learning, entertaining, organizing, and healing in communities of color. It is in the telling of stories that communities build identities, construct meaning, and make connections with others and the world."

I picked this quote because I think that it is a great way to describe what storytelling is from the creators' standpoint and for the audience. I think the description is vivid and will give the audience or readers a chance to know what to expect with storytelling. I like the way storytelling is worded about the telling of stories will help communities build identities, construct meaning, and make connections. It kind of reminds me of the Native Americans and other cultures having stories that they pass down from generation to generation. How great would it be for some of those cultures to be able to create a digital story and keep the tradition going for many.



I found a website that I think would be a great tool to use in the classroom. It is a PBS site and is called Circle of Stories. This site features Native American storytellers and some of the stories that are popular in their culture. There is a brief introduction of the storyteller, history of the tribe, and the story. The story is also available as an audio file.The website also features lesson plans for teachers.

3 comments:

  1. I love this quote. It is a vivid description that the audience knows what to expect, and they will look forward to it. The site you found is really interesting too. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this quote. I definitely think the last part of the quote is very true. Through stories, history and tradition is passed down form generation to generation and we do make persoanl connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for the Circle of Stories website! I saw that there are lesson plans too! I'm going to use this site as a home school resource for my son!

    ReplyDelete