Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week One- Introduction Post- Educ 6814

Step 3. An introductory post that tells us:
a.Where you are from and what do you do.
Hello. My name is Jessica and I am currently a substitute teacher in Harrison and Taylor County. I also work the night shift in the processing department at Huntington Bank.
I hope that this class will teach me inventive and fun ways to integrate games into my classroom. I do like playing games when I get a chance. I used to be hooked on facebook games like Farm Ville, but then I got easily bored and frustrated with the way the games started running. Right now I am into playing Words with Friends on my phone. It's a scrabble type game and very addicting. I think games are a fun way to relax and have down time. I think that video games are fine for kids, but that they shouldn't consume the child's life. There should be time limits placed on the amount of time that they are played. We have an Xbox 360 Kinect which my daughter and I frequently play, we play a game with baby tigers where you control the cat and and Dance Central. They are fun and it keeps up moving in the winter time when it is too cold to be outside.


Children and Video Games
The link that I chose discussed some of the effects that video games could have on children. It discussed the benefits of games that were educational for children, but also the negative effects games with violence could have on children. I chose this link because as parents we are the ones buying the games and we need to select and monitor games for our children that will help them in a positive way and not produce negative actions.


I was born in 1981. Three major world events that happened during that year were: Prince Charles and Princess Diana were married, MTV was introduced, and the space shuttle Columbia was launched.


2 comments:

  1. I was one of the of those kids that watched MTV the first day it aired! I was a Sophomore in high school! I also watch the first episode of sesame street!

    I agree that we need a balanced approach when it comes to video games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got on the substitute list for Marion County Schools, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know. I have heard a lot of people say they love Words with Friends, but
    I have never played it.
    In 1981 I was three and my sister was born. I do remembering hearing about those events though.

    ReplyDelete